Sunday, March 30, 2008

A recap of the semester so far

Since the paper is a little, more than halfway over I thought I would recap the semester so far and tell about my experiences as Editor-in-Chief.

The vote of no confidence

First off, the biggest news stories so far is that the Faculty Senate voted in favor of no confidence in the ability of Dr. Noelia Vela and the classified voted to support the Faculties decision.

This story is not going away soon the Board of Trustees still has to make a decision what they will do and the Faculty and Dr. Vela are still in discussions on how to fix the problems that the senate feels is the reason for its vote.

Reconstruction of the campus

One of the reasons the Faculty Senate decided to vote no confidence was due to the lack of communication with the Master Plan.

It felt left out of the decision making process.

Something that people miss about this is that for the most part campus reconstruction is a good thing.

It rebuilds many of the buildings on campus that is much needed.

However, it does this at a great cost especially to the Athletic Department.

It take away instructional space that is, at least the department thinks is much needed.

There must be a compromise so the school can begin construction of much need new buildings.

My Time as Editor-in-Chief and thoughts about where the paper needs to go

Well I think we have done many of the things that I wanted to do at the beginning of the semester and I believe that there has been a lot of improvement since the semester began.

However, I do think that I have let down the community of Cerritos College in some ways.

First of I promised that the Website would be updated twice a week and so far I have not been able to do this.

I thought that I would be easier then it turned out to be and for that, I apologize.

Also, even though, I believe that we have done a great job covering the campus we can do better.

This year sports has not been covered as well as I hoped.

Last year I was Sports Editor and covered most of the sporting events that occurred on campus, but this year because of covering other at time and just taking on too much at others, I have not been able to do that this year.

I apologize to the teams on campus and over the remaining five paper we have I will try to rectify this.


One thing I believe will help not only the paper but also the students at Cerritos is the creation of a MySpace page.

I we can reach a larger audience and get students more involved in the campus.

Overall, I am happy with the performance of the staff and I hope that I can continue to improve and finish the semester with five strong papers.

No comments: